Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ode to Vermont: Maple Oatmeal Scones


My first visit to Vermont was in the Summer of 2005. In the picturesque Green Mountains, I fell in love with the state. I had been taken up there by friends of mine from the city. I don't know too many people in NYC that have vehicles, so when one of them offered me an escape to the mountains the involuntary response was to pounce at the concept. Everything about the city is draining, even the things you love about it. The cabin we stayed in was tucked into an overgrowth of ferns near the tiny village called Warren. Every liberal ideal seemed to be upheld in Warren...eco-friendly schools, farm to food mentality, skinny dipping in streams. There was a tiny general store, which played host to all the locals and visitors alike. To me it was a utopia. Retreating back to a simple life, free from vain expectations.

Due to this developed affection toward the state of Vermont, I decided that I would seek schooling at the University of Vermont. I knew that I was going to rush threw school and a simple existence would be exactly what I would need to focus my mind on learning. Degree seeking wasn't my idea. Perhaps it was a society standard or the pressure the parents were sending my way as all my peers were heading into masters programs. Nevertheless I registered myself in classes at the University of Vermont in my 20's to get my Bachelors degree then hightail it out of there.
I am not a sit down in a classroom and absorb material type of gal. Sitting still is not a strong skill of mine. Following the masters of contrary, I lean towards anarchy. Therefore I pursued my Bachelors degree on the fast track and successfully so. In less than two years, I had finished my degree against the counsel of the department head. With the aid of all things caffeine based in copious amounts, I got through long nights in the library...treacherous walks home in what can only be described as Antarctic conditions at 4 am. How did I do this?


I know I have selective memory, but my time in Vermont is of the utmost hazy variety. I moved there hoping to create idyllic Utopian experiences, instead I rushed through being to get to the prize. The prize was a degree in an area that will never lend itself to a career for me at least. I should have paused...been there. Even if there was on the edge of being frostbitten. I should have gone apple picking, had pancake breakfasts with gross amounts maple syrup, and gone skiing just once.

So here is my ode to my lost time in Vermont...Maple Oatmeal Scones built off of Sarah Kieffer's Roasted Apple Scone with Ginger Recipe from The Vanilla Bean Blog. I am not a trusted baker, in fact I rarely use measuring cups or keep track of time so I am not going to post a recipe. But if you would like an outline of the recipe I will gladly share, so just let me know.






2 comments: