Saturday, February 9, 2013

gods...gems...genesis


Janus, the two-faced Roman god, represents new beginnings and transitions. His two heads metaphorically represent him peering into the future and past while he is often associated with bridges, doorways and time.  Romans honored Janus in the month of January as they transitioned into a new year. I was reminded by a friend during the hype of 12/21/12 and the end of the Mayan calendar as well as the I Ching; that perhaps it wasn't the end of time but rather the end of an era. Prolifically speaking the passing of December 21, 2012 could in fact be a  transition in our minds rather than a grand physical destiny or end. Perhaps we are welcoming the era of humanity. We could all use a little more compassion whether it be to our sweethearts, friends, or our interactions with complete strangers.

A new year to me is simply like a rebirth of the mind, a micro-genesis so to speak. With this new year, I want my life to reflect transitions instead of an escalating stream of to do lists or goals. I want to meditate on my actions and reactions to find ways to make them positive. I want to be aware of the difference between want vs need. I want time to be the most precious entity of my life rather than things.  I want to create opportunities for myself to be the master of my time.  I want to start making more... jewelry, art, scarves, whatever; but I simply must use my hands.


The first of my project is a 24kt vermeil necklace with a moss agate bezel set pendant. Moss agate is said to strengthen one's bond with nature while promoting understanding and communication. Continuing with the rebirth theme of this post, moss agate is believed to help those who have long-established habits or dependencies to be free of them.

*note: this post was previously on Tales of a Tumbleweed

No comments:

Post a Comment