Thursday, April 4, 2013

An Edible Ode to the Passing of Winter + Coming of Spring

 It finally looks a bit like Spring here. The trees still are bare as the blooms have begun to dazzle us with their existence. But those who are cold-natured remain bundled up. On what I would deem moderately cool day, I see daring warm-natured folk busting out their shorts and exposing their arms with short-sleeves. However I am bundled up: long-sleeves, chunky knit sweater accompanied with my winter coat. Some how it doesn't feel like Spring unless I can participate in the shedding of layers. 
Though the my body prevents me jumping into the spirit of Spring with warm weather friendly clothing; there are other ways I initiate the coming of Spring. Whenever given the opportunity, I will walk. Actually experience the Earthly re-genesis. Driving, no matter how slow go and how much I aggravate the driver behind, never gives me the feeling and celebration of rebirth. I might see the initiation of Spring but I haven't experienced it. Walking. Breathing. Developing that blister of my heel from wearing the inappropriate but cute pair of shoes.

Perhaps the most tasty rite I adopt to initiate the coming of Spring is through fresh produce. My garden has not birthed any edible vegetables or fruits as of yet; but quick visits to the grocery with its abounding delights hints to me that Winter has gone.
Here is my edible tribute to the Winter-Spring Transition with wintery butternut squash combined with the essence of Spring squash, zucchini. Butternut Squash + Zucchini Pizza.


The flat bread is topped with spoon fulls of ricotta cheese, slivers of zucchini, diced butternut squash, one garlic clove chopped up. After spreading the love around on my pizza canvas, I drizzled the top with olive oil that has been upgraded with basil, pepper, and salt. Then baked. Then consumed.


No comments:

Post a Comment